Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Identity marketing...it's the commercialization of ego...and it begins at an early age, you know Coke or Pepsi? Verizon or Sprint? PC or Mac? Prius or Humvee? Red Socks or Yankees? Red State or Blue State? As members of a consumer culture we closely align our identities to the brands (yes, even political brands) we use as well as define ourselves by the brands we reject. For instance, since I was a child, I was Coca Cola... it symbolized all that was right about life...including the 20th century Santa... and Pepsi? Well!Those who drank Pepsi might just as well have been worshippers of the devil. We(my family) didn't drink Pepsi...this further protected me from who I wasn't. Well, you can imagine my shock when I discovered several years back that I preferred Pepsi!

Next post...means of creating identity...


Identity marketing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home